When expressing milk for you baby to give at a later stage, it’s always important to follow the recommendations for storing of breastmilk.
Some Tips to take into consideration when storing breastmilk:
- Write down the date on the container before filling and storing
- Always use the oldest milk first
- Refrigerate milk straight after expressing (if you are not planning on using it within the next few hours)
- Always store your breastmilk containers at the back of your fridge or refrigerator where temperature remains most constant
- Stored breastmilk will separate- do not shake the breastmilk, rather swirl it gently.
- Milk will expand when you freeze it. Always keep enough space at the top if you plan to freeze
- Fill each container with 60mls to minimize waste
- Horizontal bags (like the ARDO EasyStore bags) save space
- Place frozen milk in the refrigerator to thaw overnight